Name:
Location: Adelaide, Australia

"'To confuse the issue', she often says, 'not only am I Manila-born, convent-school educated, speak English and Tagalog plus a bit of Chinese and curse fluently in Spanish, I now reside in Australia as well!' Crazy mixed-up kid!" Arlene Chai's book, "The Last Time I Saw Mother"

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Adelaide on show





Adelaide has come alive this month. People have come out of the woodwork to celebrate that SA is the Festival State.

Every 2 years, South Australia puts on a massive show -- the Adelaide Festival of the Arts and its companions, the Adelaide Fringe Festival, Adelaide Writers Week and Womadelaide (a music festival). It's a period that satisfies my need for creativity -- you know, a couple of plays here and there, sprinkled with an afternoon of jazz, a couple of nights of comedy, a day on the banks of the river watching Il Cielo che Danza (dancers and balloons suspended over Adelaide). Not to mention afternoons spent listening to world-renowned authors sharing their thoughts about writing, politics, and the world around us.


The only real disappointing thing about this month is that it's over so soon. This weekend marks, not only the state elections, but the closing of both the Fringe and the Festival. And there are still so many shows that I either want to see or wish I had seen. Oh well, there's always next time.

Oh, and let's not forget the Cabaret Festival! My sentimental favourite because it was at this festval 3 years ago that I got to see a concert performance of Songs For a New World -- the first complete performance of Songs for a New World scored for an orchestra. I also got to meet composer Jason Robert Brown and watch him in a performance of The Last Five Years! I can't wait to see what this year's festival has to offer...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home